Re: [opensuse] Re: Thunderbird 3.0.4 - Deleting Large No. of Messages leaves Tbird indexing and eating 87% of CPU for hours...
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 23:27:01 -0400
On 05/04/2010 10:29 PM, Linda Walsh pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 05/04/2010 12:54 PM, Linda Walsh pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
(1 tall column with all accounts and folders, and 2 panels to the side of
that with folder messages from selected folder on top, and message on
bottom).

This is how I have mine set without problems. Actually I have a forth
volume for my calendar.
----
I had mine down to my normal 3 + calendar, but couldn't
(I swear, I went through trouble of installing it twice and have
been using it since 1.5, so I'm not a complete stranger!), find
how to turn off the calendar which seemed to waste alot of space
and didn't want (I've had sunbird loaded off and on, but never
found it useful enough for the real-estate it took up).

May have been staring me in the face...but that was my
largest issue. I couldn't believe they wouldn't default to off
and let people turn on a calendar -- but give them *minimal* shock on
upgrade, then let them turn on stuff...I usually turn on everything
when I feel more exploratory, but right after an upgrade when I just
want things to work isn't usually it. So tell me, there's a 'stupid'
switch front and center or something that I missed that turns that off,
right? (waiting for kick in head...:-) ).

The calendar is an addon feature if deleted will disappear.

I find it quite usable. Perhaps you didn't take the time to set it up
correctly.
---
I *liked* the idea of the indexing, though I'd certainly want it
in 64-bits. But I get along well with the server side indexing which is
innately much faster as it's right there with the disks. The client could
only index what it has dowloaded and keeps local. I use IMAP, so I
have the general idea of keeping my email on the server, but Mozilla
DOES tend to cling onto every 'body' I download, so I end up with huge
local stores. My "appdata/roaming/thunderbird/profile/xxyz" dir on
my winclient is running 1.5G, with 1.1G of that being in ImapMail. :-(

I'd prefer Mozilla expire bodies more quickly but NOT the headers.
Their rational is fine for POP usage, but for a user with local IMAP
access, it amakes for unnecessary waste...maybe that's cleaned up in 3.0?
:-)

I'd suggest going back to the 2.x series where I haven't seen
these problem.

I wouldn't as 3.x works quite well. At least after you turn the ugly
indexing that the devs don't test in the real world, (with several
thousand emails in separate folders).

So I hear...well, if 3.0 works as fine as 2, I stand correct. Damn the
local index, and full speed ahead! I'm still way impressed with dovecot
though. I hear from others it compares favorably in benchmarks, BUT, my
only experience is with the speedup coming from the now unsupported UMAP-UW
prog -- a stalwart companion, but still a dog.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998