Re: [opensuse] What is 'MariaDB' and what has it done with my mysql??
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 17:47:20 -0500
On 05/04/2010 09:01 AM, Michael Schroeder wrote:
On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 08:37:50AM -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
Thanks, Robert, Clayton

It's always a surprise when a bombshell like this drops and your are
left
wondering "... not even a peep on the list prior to the update?" "do they
think
people just won't notice stuff like this?"...

What mysql update are you talking about?

Cheers,
Michael.

Michael,

I did an update yesterday and with zypper's or yast's 'magic' the
'update'
deleted mysql from my system and replaced it with 'MariaDB'. I sure in the heck
didn't tell it to do that. Somebody at Novell included code somewhere that says
"On the next update, delete mysql and replace it with MariaDB -- and don't make
it obvious to the user."

I do have OBS-database as a repository and looking at the individual
repos,
that is where 'sweet Maria' must have come from. I think you are safe as long as
you don't have the database repo active. (Of course, I could be wrong there -
you might meet her on your next date .. I mean update ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC