Re: [opensuse] Tip: Google Earth under oS 11.2
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:57:00 +0930
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:51:42 John Andersen wrote:
On Wednesday 28 April 2010 01:29:26 am Rodney Baker wrote:
Hi all.

This may be common knowledge but I had to search the Google site for
answers so it may help someone else.

After installing Google Earth v5 on 11.2 (and probably earlier versions
as well) it may well fail to run, complaining that it cant find
libstdc++.so.6.

The problem is that the versions installed by Google Earth conflict with
the standard system libraries. This doesn't just affect openSuSE - the
same problems have been reported on other distros as well.

The solution is to rename libcrypto.so.0.9.8, libstdc++.so.6 and
libgcc_s.so.1 in the Google Earth installation directory
(/opt/google-earth if installed as root or /home/<user>/google-earth if
installed as a user). I simply added .orig to the end of the filenames.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

This seems like OLD info, because none of those files are in any current
installation of Google Earth.
How old is your GE?

Version 5.1, just downloaded yesterday. If those files are not supposed to be
in the install archive, maybe there were still some old files from a previous
version hanging around in /opt/google-earth. Still, from what I read on
google's site I'm not the only one who got caught by it.