Re: [opensuse] Lenovo T410s installs 11.2; boot freezes with black screen
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 23:34:38 -0400
On 2010/04/27 19:46 (GMT-0400) Martin A. Brown composed:

First, I have been using openSUSE happily now for about 4 or 5 years
and am very happy with the solid distribution and quality control of
the distribution.

Today, I'm simply hoping somebody can point me in the right
direction for a bit more detailed support. I may not have joined
the right mailing list.

Problem: I have a brand new T410s, which happily installs from the
NET-x86_64 iso, yet freezes on boot. Somewhere in the boot process
(after all of the textual goodness scrolls by), it appears to try to
switch to graphical mode, and then it freezes. I can boot to single
user mode, but can't seem to figure out how to bring up the network
('/etc/init.d/network start' doesn't work)

With some casual googling, I found one suggestion that I try 11.3,
which I did, but the installer didn't even complete. I'm not sure
what next steps I should take.

Questions:

- Should I join another mailing list?

If the T410 has gfx hardware newer than that supported by 11.2, yes:

opensuse-factory@xxxxxxxxxxxx and one or more of
intel-gfx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or xorg-driver-ati@xxxxxxxxxxx or
xorg-driver-nvidia@xxxxxxxxxxx and/or xorg-driver-noveau@xxxxxxxxxxx
depending on your actual hardware.

- Should I install another kernel?

Probably not helpful.

- How can I bring up a network connection?

Assuming your NIC is supported, if you can get booted into runlevel 3 you can
login on a tty and run text mode yast to try to fix it (if you don't know how
to do it manually from the cmdline).

I'm guessing that the hardware is just a bit new and that is the
crux of the issue. Any suggestions?

The 11.3 milestone 5 installation process has serious flaws that should be
fixed in 6 due on Thursday. Try that.
--
"Suppos [sic] a nation in some distant region, should
take the Bible for their only law book, and every member

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/