Re: [opensuse] kernel install conflicts -- Can I safely ignore them?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:54:23 -0500
On 2010-04-14 21:04, David C. Rankin wrote:

and I was interesting in checking it out. On all prior kernel installs where
have had multiple kernels installed (with rpm -ivh), I've never received this
error before ... and I regularly have 2-3 different kernel packages
installed.

Do you really need the sources of all?

Yes, at least I think so, for fglrx, virtualbox module compilation, and who
knows what all other requirements the various srpms have that I fairly regularly
compile...

guess the problem is most likely a packaging problem, but don't know enough
about suse kernel packaging to be sure.

So what say the kernel experts, Can I safely ignore the conflict and
overwrite
the above files safely?

I would say report on bugzilla, but is is not an stock kernel. Report to that
home owner.

Yes,

This is where the Novell OBS really has a problem that needs to be
addressed.
Novell relies on OBS to a great extent to keep packages for releases current,
but then if there is ever a problem with an OBS package, Novell treats you like
you have the plague... If it wasn't for OBS, packman, etc.. openSuSE releases
would be out of date less than 3 months after they were released. I understand
the business model of relying on users to build updates for releases and I think
it is a good idea, but there needs to be a mechanism in place for bug reporting
and resolution when problems arise with OBS packages.

One would think Novell would jump at the chance to handle bug
resolution of OBS
packages. After all, an overwhelming part of the work required to update the
package has already been done by the user and with little additional effort
(resources), Novell could lend a hand review the build details and solve any
issues with the package and then give it the "official stamp" and market the
fact that opensuse packages are current through XYZ version based on the OBS
build.

I see it as a very positive win-win for both Novell and the community.
The
current process of e-mail the user that built the package and hope he can (or
will) address the issue.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC