Re: [opensuse] AutoFS somewhat complex...
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <P.Suetterlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:14:45 +0100
Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
Hi Peter and everyone else :-)

I can't get my head right...please bear with me and correct me here.

This is my auto.master file:
/extern /etc/auto.nfs

This is my auto.nfs file:
* 172.16.11.229:/volume1/EXPORT/&

Fine.

(the export works ok generally, I can mount the stuff manually and so forth)

Then also check permissions, i.e., when you manually mount
172.16.11.229:/volume1/EXPORT/vk, can you read/write as user vk there?
That's a general issue, unrelated to the specific problem.

This is my / directory (snip):
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 13 apr 15:49 extern/

Also fine.

Now I also tried setting up an 'extern' directory with a subdir beneath
it named 'vk'.

You shouldn't. /extern should be empty when you start autofs

I then tried with symlinks from /home/vk like these:
ln -s /extern myfiles

No.

and
ln -s /extern/vk myfiles

Yes.

It appears that I can 'cd' into 'myfiles', but I cannot do a 'touch
xxx.yyy' in the directory. No permissions or so.

See above. Permissions and owner of the directory on the server have to be
correct. You'll have to set that on the server as on the client root is
mapped to nobody.

Q: should the original /extern directory have 755 or 777 rights?

Shouldn't matter much, but I'd recommend 755

Q: should each individual user have his own subdir beneath it, created
manually before autofs is started?

No, autofs does that normally, either on start, or when it is requested.

Q: the symlink created in /home/vk, should this point to /extern or to
/extern/vk?

The latter, to /extern/vk

Once again...I really do appreciate your inputs! Thanks a lot.

You're welcome ;^>

Pit