[opensuse] AutoFS somewhat complex...
  • From: Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 13:14:15 +0200
Hi list and gurus

I just setup an 11.2 that uses an external NFS box for /home. This works
just fine until one tries to fire up, say Firefox. Which breaks because
of its use of SQLITE for storing visited sites, history and so. It's a
known filelocking problem I think.

So, for that reason (and a few other programs with the same problem...),
I cannot use NFS for external /home.

Now, I'd like to use the local disks for /home but NFS and AutoFS for
individual 'Documents' directories, one for each user.

I setup the NFS server box with
/DOCUMENTS/user-a
/DOCUMENTS/user-b
/DOCUMENTS/user-c
/DOCUMENTS/user-d
/DOCUMENTS/user-x

That's a little work, but I can fix (script) it. So I now have an NFS
exported directory named NFS:/volume1/DOCUMENTS and this documents
directory contains a large number of subdirs, all named after the users
that exists on the client.

On the client I can get a 'standard' NFS /home thing to work. But now in
auto.master and the other autofs.files I need to use wildcards for
substitution of the logged in users name.

eh...now I'm stuck. Any hints or good ideas? Is this at all doable?

PS: I read the openSuSE documentation on the matter - and also this link
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch29_:_Remote_Disk_Access_with_NFS#VFS

As always - thanks a lot for any answers!