Re: [opensuse] Unmount option for USB-flashdisk in KDE 3.5 desktop icons
  • From: Tejas Guruswamy <masterpatricko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 23:51:07 +0100
On 08/04/10 22:26, John Andersen wrote:
On 4/8/2010 8:41 AM, Istvan Gabor wrote:

In KDE 3.5 (currently 3.5.10) icons are placed on the desktop representing
inserted media (CD/DVD, USB flashdisk).

For CD/DVDs right click on the icon gives possible actions including "eject"
and "unmount".
For USB-flashdisks there is a "safely remove" option but there is no
"unmount" option.

My question is where the properties of these icon are stored, how they are
activated, and how I could add an "unmount"
option to USB-flashdisk icon? Sometimes I want to unmount/remount my
flashdisk without removing it.

Thanks is advance,

Istvan

I too miss the unmount.

*Safely remove is NOT a sufficient option*. Basically USB devices simply
have buffers flushed and files
closed, with safely removed. This might work for a dumb stick but for other
things like cameras, ereaders
and some phones its not good enough. The assertion is often made that the
device is mounted synchronously
and therefore needs no unmount option.

However, some devices (my Barnes and Noble nook for example) do not return to
normal operation until
they are dimounted, and they don't charge their battery till they do return
to normal operation,
and you can't do anything with the device while it is mounted. Same for many
Cameras. You have
to de-cable the device.

I would love to see a true un-mount added back into the Device Notifier (I'm
on KDE 4.4.2).

Sorry, I don't understand your problem. "Safely remove" is a filesystem
sync AND an unmount - I have never had it not unmount for any device. If
your devices are not recognizing being unmounted, I think you are
encountering a different issue - I would ask if you unmount the device
from the command line does it recognize it is disconnected? Does it
behave similarly in Windows?

Regards,
Tejas