Re: [opensuse] How could I keep in sync email on two computers?
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:05:50 +0200
On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 17:43 +0200, Will Stephenson wrote:

I don't know this 'offlineimap' package you describe, but the common solution
to the problem you describe is to use an IMAP mail provider, and a mail
client
that supports offline IMAP. This is not the same as the tool you just
mentioned! When you check mail after reading mail offline, the read flags,
deletions, and other changes are synchronised with those stored on the IMAP
server.

KMail, Evolution and Thunderbird all support it*.

This is the solution I use. Add the iPod to the list. As well as the
Mac. And my Nokia telephone. There is an imapd proxy that can route
things when needed.

The possible advantage of offlineimap is that it can perhaps be more
automatic. All theses e-mail readers will only have a copy if you ran
them while connected. Perhaps offlineimap does a push so the
sometimes-offline devices get the mail by virtue of being connected and
not require you start the client e-mail reader? That would be
interesting to know.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST