Re: [opensuse] Wireless LAN in BIOS disabled
  • From: Marc Chamberlin <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:13:46 -0700
On 3/25/2010 12:07 PM, Sebastian wrote:
On Thursday 25 March 2010 00:12:19 Marc Chamberlin wrote:
Oh now this is interesting! I too have found that my wlan0 device on my
laptop has stopped mysteriously on me a few times! Rebooting (even with
a power cycle) back into SuSE11.2 would not restore it, nor would an
rcnetwork restart. I don't use the NetworkManager BTW, rather I have
stuck with the old ifup, ifdown routine. I kinda figure it might be a
hardware failure at first. But then each time I have rebooted my laptop
to Windoz XP and did a diagnostic and repair on my networks, I would
find my wlan0 device working again! So far that has been my solution,
but now you have made me suspicious of SuSE... Definitely weird!
Marc, what brand/model is your laptop? My Dell Inspiron has been giving
me a similar problem and it turns out the wireless switch is the culprit.
It uses Fn+F2 to turn it on/off. For some reason, sometimes when the
laptop is shutdown the wireless gets turned off. Then nothing but Fn+F2
will turn it back on. You can check it by booting in windows and see if
it will fire up the wireless. In my case it wouldnt without doing the Fn
key stuff.

BTW, it has happened after an update/reboot.

Richard
But the thing with my laptop is, that there is as far as I know no key for
disabling the wireless LAN. It just happened after setting the computer to
standby.

Sebastian
Richard, Sebastian - My laptop is an HP Pavilion dv9000. There is a slide switch on the front edge of the laptop to turn on/off the wireless network. I always double check it, even turn it off and on to make sure. As I said, rebooting to Windoz has always been my fix, somehow that seems to get it going again...

Marc..

--
Marc Chamberlin
www.marcchamberlin.com

A man said unto the universe - "Sir I Exist!"
"However" replied the universe
"I do not see where that creates in me a sense of
an obligation" S Crane.

< Previous Next >