Re: [opensuse] USB Webcam audio problem on Linux
  • From: Marco Calistri <marco.calistri@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:22:31 -0300
Dominique Leuenberger ha scritto:
On 3/23/2010 at 19:07, Marco Calistri <marco.calistri@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Wonder if the lack of answers to my latest post (in attach) is because
nobody use Philips USB Webcams with embedded microphone, or because this
appears to be a know bug of Linux kernel, which is not yet resolved.

How is it possible that Linux nowaday, still lacks on this kind of
driver problems?

Might be a question for Philips I would say: who do you expect to write the
driver? For Windows everybody expects the vendor to create / ship them.
For Linux everybody expects them 'just to work' (seems nobody has to write
them, let alone having specifications on how to interact with the
hardware).

Dominique

Hi Dominique,

I agree on you points, however, them cannot be used as a mere
justification simply because it wouldn't be the first case where the
vendor has not wrote a specific driver for Linux but despite of this,
the hardware doesn't works.

Linux is great and is powerful also because it can do more and better of
M$ normally for free, but there are still some points where it lacks
against Windows and USB Microphone is one of these.

I think that present issue is not just on Philips brand; I guess other
users, with different USB WebCams with integrated Mics suffer of same
problem on video or audio or both failure and this is not IMHO so much
justifiable.

BR,

Marco