Re: [opensuse] USB Webcam audio problem on Linux
  • From: Marco Calistri <marco.calistri@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:22:31 -0300
Dominique Leuenberger ha scritto:
On 3/23/2010 at 19:07, Marco Calistri <marco.calistri@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Wonder if the lack of answers to my latest post (in attach) is because
nobody use Philips USB Webcams with embedded microphone, or because this
appears to be a know bug of Linux kernel, which is not yet resolved.

How is it possible that Linux nowaday, still lacks on this kind of
driver problems?

Might be a question for Philips I would say: who do you expect to write the
driver? For Windows everybody expects the vendor to create / ship them.
For Linux everybody expects them 'just to work' (seems nobody has to write
them, let alone having specifications on how to interact with the

Hi Dominique,

I agree on you points, however, them cannot be used as a mere
justification simply because it wouldn't be the first case where the
vendor has not wrote a specific driver for Linux but despite of this,
the hardware doesn't works.

Linux is great and is powerful also because it can do more and better of
M$ normally for free, but there are still some points where it lacks
against Windows and USB Microphone is one of these.

I think that present issue is not just on Philips brand; I guess other
users, with different USB WebCams with integrated Mics suffer of same
problem on video or audio or both failure and this is not IMHO so much