Re: [opensuse] systemload / cpu's
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:02:03 -0700
Security aspects of SMP?

Apart from certain race condition exploits possibly being
easier to achieve, I have no idea what that would be. Could you
expand a little on what you mean?

Right now its open-ended.

Only if software development continues to be done with the tools of
the pre-multi-CPU era. I think software Darwinism will make quick
work of those efforts.

... but I seriously don't see any security problems there

Yes, I agree. Multi-CPU systems present the only way to continue the now
played-out performance boosts we (software types) were getting for free
for a few decades from the chip makers. So now the onus is on the
developers of languages and tools that make exploiting multi-CPU
systems a manageable job for programmers.

But I see very little added security risk in the move to explicitly
parallel solutions to performance challenges.

I get a strong sense of fear of the unknown from Mr. Aylward.

Anders

Randall Schulz