Re: [opensuse] systemload / cpu's
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:04:23 +0100
On Sat, 2010-03-20 at 13:04 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
Multiple cores make sense for the big servers where there are many
simulates unblocked threads of execution.

For a desktop machine where there is, for the most part, 'just you'
running the foreground task, they offer little advantage.

Have you run bzip2 lately? I'm pretty glad that I have more than one
core, so that I can still so something else on my machine while that is
running.

I also like to rip the movies I buy so I can put them on my media center
machine - I could start that and then not use my machine at all for
about 10 hours while that is running, or I could use my other cores.

And this is not counting the innumerable applications and games that can
use multiple cores internally.

The usage scenario you describe sound more like win95 or DOS to me - in
more modern times, there are huge benefits to having multiple CPUs/cores
on a desktop

Anders