[opensuse] Pinentry problem
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:31:19 -0400
I have this code snippet in my ~/.bash_profile

keychain --agents "ssh,gpg" id_rsa 927D45FB
[[ -f $HOME/.keychain/$HOSTNAME-sh ]] && \
source $HOME/.keychain/$HOSTNAME-sh
[[ -f $HOME/.keychain/$HOSTNAME-sh-gpg ]] && \
source $HOME/.keychain/$HOSTNAME-sh-gpg

Since logging in with KDM didn't seem to invoke that
I duplicated it to ~/.xinitrc

All went well with 11.0, 11.1 and initially with 11.2
The came some upgrade or combination with qt, gtk or whatever.

Things broke.
The login hung. I was no longer getting the prompt to the screen.

So I hot-keyed to a tty and logged in there.
It hung.

I ctrl-C'd, then did a 'ps -ef' and found there was a 'pinentry'
process attached to the X-window, but not visible.

I logged out, logged in again, and when the tty hung hot-keyed to
another tty and logged in as root, which doesn't have that code.
Doing a 'ps' there showed there was a 'pinentry' hung on the tty as well.

It seems somewhere in the updates the pinentry code, or perhaps the gtk
or qt code it relies on, has changed.

Perhaps there needs to be a redirction.

# rpm -qi pinentry
Name : pinentry Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 0.7.6 Vendor: openSUSE
Release : 5.5 Build Date: Tue 20 Oct 2009 04:49:01 AM EDT
Install Date: Tue 09 Mar 2010 09:26:00 AM EST Build Host: build24
Group : Productivity/Other Source RPM:
pinentry-0.7.6-5.5.src.rpm
Size : 140035 License: GPL v2 or later
Signature : RSA/8, Tue 20 Oct 2009 04:49:30 AM EDT, Key ID
b88b2fd43dbdc284
Packager : http://bugs.opensuse.org
Description :
This is a collection of simple PIN or passphrase entry dialogs which
utilize the Assuan protocol as described by the Aegypten project.

Authors:
--------
Robert Bihlmeyer <robbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Werner Koch, g10 Code GmbH <wk@xxxxxxxxx>
Steffen Hansen, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<steffen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Marcus Brinkmann, g10 Code GmbH <marcus@xxxxxxxxxxx>

# rpm -qa| grep pinentry
pinentry-qt-0.7.6-5.5.i586
pinentry-gtk2-0.7.6-5.5.i586
pinentry-0.7.6-5.5.i586
pinentry-qt4-0.7.6-5.5.i586

Now that seems rather odd.

Can anyone help?

--
Definitions are temporary verbalizations of concepts, and concepts --
particularly difficult concepts -- are usually revised repeatedly as