Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: Philipp Thomas <Philipp.Thomas2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 17:51:27 +0100
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:11:49 +0100 (CET), you wrote:

Now, my doubt, is how grub relates its names, like hd0, hd1, hd2 to the
kernel naming like sda, sdb, sdc... there is a device-map file, but that
comes later. What logic is used to create that file? is the file used
during boot, or is it simply for our information, as I think?

It is created either manually or by YaST during installation and used
by grub when booting. Just edit that file and then try to boot but
have a rescue system at hand to undo your changes.

Philipp