Re: [opensuse] Remote installation, how to find out public dynamic IP
  • From: Paul Korossy <p1037905@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 14:49:20 +0100
On Saturday 06 March 2010 12:11:54 Tejas Guruswamy wrote:
Some ideas I had, usefulness not guaranteed ...

Does the router in front of the remote machine have a Dynamic DNS
service function - where it automatically sends its current public ip
(to dyndns.org or similar)? I know many modern Linksys / Netgear ones
have this, dunno about other brands.

Yes, it might have this function but the owner is an average windows user who
can help basic things but probably cannot do any router configuration. That
machine is over 1000km from here and I haven't access to the router either.

An alternative is to have a working machine behind the router that sends
an email to you with the current public IP. There are scripts that can
fetch your public IP. But if the only machine behind the router is just
having the OS installed, maybe this isn't an option ... but maybe the
router has an option to email logs?

It's a good idea, I've found a script using wget and I'll try it, as far as I
remember the net install program has some console environment too.
Thanks,

Paul