Re: [opensuse] Novell for sale.
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 14:20:37 +0000

James Knott wrote:
Martin Jungowski wrote:
Am 03.03.2010 08:13, schrieb Fred A. Miller:

Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
here because of it's importance.

Fred, your link doesn't work: 404 not found
You cut off the final 3, the correct link is:

It isn't for "sale". It's an offer to buy up shares, which are always
on sale, if some share holder wants to sell. IBM owns a chunk IIRC.

Every couple of years or so Novell gets linked to buy out talks with
other companies within the I.T industry (usually IBM or Microsoft), and
these normally come to nothing.

The unusual thing in this case is that this a financial fund that has
assessed that Novell's share market value seems to be less than the
company's actual capital value making it a suitable acquisition target.
If it succeeds any further decision making will likely be made by 'bean
counters' rather than those with a background in the industry, which
could be quite destructive.

Give a slightly different analysis of the offer, and other likely

BTW OpenSuSE is only a part of Novells operation (although a significant
part maybe), the original SuSE acquisition probably had more to do with
a need to find an alternative to the declining Netware based revenue
stream than any particular commitment to FOSS (the code bases for NDS,
Netware and e-Directory AFAIK still definitely closed source).

- --

Bjarne Stroustrup
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE -