Re: [opensuse] Novell for sale.
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 18:50:00 +1100
On 03/03/10 18:13, Fred A. Miller wrote:
Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
here because of it's importance.

Fred

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030

A five year deal with Microsoft to dump Novell/SUSE

Nov 08, 2006 By Nicholas Petreley
<http://www.linuxjournal.com/user/801587> <================XX

Wake up little SUSE, Wake up. No, that's not good enough. Wake up SUSE
customers, wake up. Novell is jeopardizing the future of Linux for its
own short-term rewards. If you want to see Linux flourish, let alone
survive after Novell's five year deal with Microsoft expires, I suggest
we make an alternative five year deal with Microsoft. In this case, our
part of the deal is to spend the next five minutes, months, or years
migrating away from every shred of Novell/SUSE software in our home,
office, or enterprise.

The controversial agreement between Microsoft and Novell stinks to high
heaven. Look, for example, at the contradictory statements.

Take this quote from the Novell FAQ on the agreement
<http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/faq_opensource.html>:

Novell makes no admission that its Linux and open source offerings
infringe on any other parties' patents.

How does that jibe with the following quote from Microsoft General
Counsel Brad Smith?

"We addressed the proprietary issues through the net up-front
payment. The open-source we addressed through the percentage of
revenue."

The "percentage of revenue" to which Brad Smith is referring is Novell's
payment to Microsoft so that Microsoft will not sue SUSE customers for
patent infringement.

Wait. Didn't we just read that no such infringements exist? If Novell is
paying Microsoft a percentage of its revenue from sales of SUSE Linux as
part of a covenant from Microsoft not to sue SUSE customers for patent
infringement in open source code, then is this not a tacit admission
that Novell's Linux and open source offerings infringe on other parties'
patents, particularly Microsoft's patents? How can one interpret this
any other way? Why would Novell pay Microsoft not to sue its customers
over patent infrigements Novell says do not exist?

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000121

--

A boiled egg is hard to beat.