Re: [opensuse] restore ,
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:20:58 -0500
JayLinux wrote:
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 3:14 PM, John Heinen<hensandpat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On the hard drive we have as follows according to qt parted
partition size used space start end recovery
1 /dev/sda1 ntfs 15.54 gb N/A 0.03 mb 15.54 gb recovery
2 /dev/sda2 nfts 115.55 gb 37 gb 15.54gb 13108. gb partittion

the rest of the hard drive is filled with opensuse, linux mint etc.
Partittion 1 and 2 is windows vista but won't open probably on account off
sda1 is full, in other words; vista cannot operate unless it has free space
in da1 to backup

Is there a way with "Qt parted" to decrease /dev/sda2 and increase the
backup sda1 by the same in order for vista to backup

I do understand that we should not discuss windows on the forum but I do
need windows yet for wubi, taxes, and bibel programs, (some combo) John H
--
Do not do any partition operations on mounted file system(s), I assume
you are using ntfs-3g to mount those partitions in Linux.

I have done similar partition re-sizing successfully without data
loss, using gparted through a boot CD, preferring Parted Magic
(http://partedmagic.com/), however it is highly recommended to make a
partition /essential file/folder backup before proceeding.

Quite so. I'm in the middle of moving my notebook system to a larger hard drive. I've used dd to make image files of the various partitions and also the entire hard drive. I also separately copied the contents of /home and the Windows "My Documents" folder just in case...