Re: [opensuse] Copy LVM
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 15:59:10 -0500
* James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> [02-28-10 15:03]:
I'm in the process of replacing a notebook computer hard drive with a
larger one. I can use dd to copy non-LVM partitions to a file on a
USB drive, but that doesn't seem to work with LVM. How can a LVM
partition be copied in a similar manner? I'm used a rescue CD to do
all the copying.

I think... add the usb drive to your lvm, use pvmove to relocate the
previous data to the usb portion, then reduce the lvm to the usb portion,
which then should exist by itself.

then reverse, add the new drive to the usb lvm and pvmove to the new
drive, reduce, remove.....

Oh, what a convoluted web we weave :^)