Re: [opensuse] PATA vs. SATA: which port is device on?
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 00:53:06 -0500
On 2010/02/23 17:00 (GMT+0100) Per Jessen composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

It's difficult to tell without the output from 'hwinfo --cdrom'
and 'lspci'.

Any particular reason that info in the thread starter wasn't good
enough for you?

I don't know which machine it didn't work on.

Any suggestions for something simpler and/or more authoritative?

AFAICT, Davids awk-script does it just fine - it picks the PCI
identifier from /dev/disk/by-path and looks up the PCI device.

But it didn't on my 11.0 server running the HDs on software RAID1 and
the DVD on a 3rd SATA port. I wouldn't expect the OM device to show up
in /dev/disk*, or any script that depends on it, to work.

Hmm, doesn't work on an 11.0 system here either. I'm not very good with
awk, but try this instead:

hwinfo --cdrom | \
grep /dev/disk/by-path | \
cut -d- -f3 | cut -d: -f2-5 | \
xargs printf "/sbin/lspci | grep %s;" | sh

Only output is errors. Doesn't exit either.
--
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious
people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/