Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [opensuse] fsck progress bar at boot -WAS: My firstmajor fail with KDE4
  • From: Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 01:01:42 +0100
2010. február 23. 22:03 napon Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx> írta:

Istvan Gabor said the following on 02/23/2010 03:10 PM:

I looked through the abovementioned man pages but could not find
anything related to the progress bar. Have I overlooked it maybe?

Probably.
You should have seen

-C fd This option causes e2fsck to write completion information to
the specified file descriptor so that the progress of the
filesystem check can be monitored. This option is typically
used by programs which are running e2fsck.

There is some progress with this issue:

I have checked my /etc/init.d/boot.localfs and /etc/init.d/boot.rootfsck files
and both has the following lines:

# If we use a serial console, don't use the fsck progress bar
if test "$REDIRECT" = "/dev/tty1" ; then
FSCK_OPTS="$FSCK_OPTS -C"
else
FSCK_OPTS="$FSCK_OPTS -V"
fi

For making sure that this is the culprit I have changed FSCK_OPTS="$FSCK_OPTS
-V" to FSCK_OPTS="$FSCK_OPTS -C" in my /etc/init.d/boot.localfs file, set one
of my partitions mount-count number above the limit and rebooted. After this
fsck initiated a full scan on the given partition at bootup and the progress
bar _was_ shown.

It seems my system thinks that it uses a serial console, and therefore does not
show the progress bar. Why does it think that, and how could I change it?

Thanks,
Istvan