Re: [opensuse] 11.2 a big step backwards?
  • From: Charles Obler <joyinstruggle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 00:25:00 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message ----
From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, February 22, 2010 9:41:14 AM
Subject: Re: [opensuse] 11.2 a big step backwards?

I have just as much right to offer advice of my preferred solution of
using 11.0/KDE3.5 as you do to suggest ways to help make KDE4 more
bearable. So far I have seen ZERO compelling reasons to use KDE4. So
long as that is the case, I will recommend using KDE3 or something
else. That may change. The KDE team may realize how much stuff they
removed was actually used at some point.

----- Reply -----
Well, at least the KDE developers are learning how much their efforts PRIOR to
KDE 4 were appreciated!

There is something about this that doesn't make sense. I'd like to know
exactly who it was who decided that we needed "A Whole New Concept" -- that
something we didn't ask for or want would somehow "Be Good For Us". And now
that this "New Concept" has been forced on us, we're told that we should "Just
Forget" our desire to stay with the tried and true system that served us so
well.

If Linux can have two major DE's and several minor ones, why CAN'T it have
three? I'm told that the resources aren't there. But the resources were there
to give us something we DIDN'T want or ask for! We were not given a choice --
that is the real problem here.

I'm trying hard to like KDE 4.3.1, and I have to admit that it's not all bad,
and the shortcomings are probably fixable, over time. In the meantime, what's
wrong with continuing to identify the things we liked about 3.5? Like:

: the ability to align desktop icons with a single command
: the icons displayed on the taskbar
: short-cut key access to the menu bar in konsole

I'm told that 4.3 has a "sort" command that arranges the desktop icons, but I
can't find it anywhere. On the taskbar, instead of icons identifying the
active applications, I have blank grey boxes.

I DID find that I can use the mount command to make USB memory accessible.

And I finally got ethernet access to the Internet to work! Woohoo! Next to
that, all the rest is minor.