Re: [opensuse] dashed lines and dotted lines
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 01:45:46 -0500
On Friday 19 February 2010 02:48:30 pm Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 19:36 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:
On Friday 19 February 2010 05:16:41 am Tejas Guruswamy wrote:
On 19/02/10 04:05, Douglas McGarrett wrote:
Hello, again--

I'm new to SuSE 11.1, and a lot of things have changed since 9.3.
Fr'instance, all of a sudden I have dotted lines around a lot
of the things I bring up on screen, including now, and
dashed lines around each incoming mail (in KMail) and dashed
lines around some icons on the desktop. Why did they appear, and how
can I get rid of them? They make the mail topics hard to read, for
one thing. (This letter, as I write it, has dotted edges as noted
above.) This did not manifest itself until I had used the program
about 5 days. --doug

Doug, I don't understand what you mean by what you describe - could you
send a screenshot? Is it a hardware display issue or a software issue?

Are you running KDE3 or KDE4?

Regards,
Tejas

Just FYI, openSUSE 11.2 is the current release, 11.1 is now getting
quite old.

Here's an example of the dashes.

It looks to me like your color depth is odd. How many colors do you have
enabled? It looks like 16. And KDE is still trying to do 3D effects. If
anything, I bet KDE is doing good things in an apparent lack of colors.

xdpyinfo should print something like this:

screen #0:
print screen: no
dimensions: 1920x1200 pixels (372x231 millimeters)
resolution: 131x132 dots per inch
depths (7): 24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
root window id: 0x1a7
0x6d
depth of root window: 24 planes
number of colormaps: minimum 1, maximum 1
default colormap: 0x20
default number of colormap cells: 256
preallocated pixels: black 0, white 16777215
largest cursor: 64x64
current input event mask: 0xfac031
0xfa4031 <<<
KeyPressMask EnterWindowMask LeaveWindowMask
KeymapStateMask ExposureMask StructureNotifyMask
SubstructureNotifyMask SubstructureRedirectMask FocusChangeMask
PropertyChangeMask ColormapChangeMask
number of visuals: 120
2 <<<
default visual id: 0x21
visual:
visual id: 0x21
0x4b <<<
class: TrueColor
depth: 24 planes
32 planes <<<
available colormap entries: 256 per subfield
red, green, blue masks: 0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
significant bits in color specification: 8 bits

The above tabbed entries are different in my readout. Does this mean
anything? most of it means nothing to me.

--doug