Re: [opensuse] HP only prints on HP paper
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 14:05:05 -0500
On 02/09/2010 02:07 PM, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 02/09/2010 01:40 PM, M. Fioretti pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 16:37:36 PM +0000, Tejas Guruswamy
(masterpatricko@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

The reason this seems strange is that there is nothing to
differentiate HP photo paper from other photo paper. If it
physically fits in the tray (and is flexible like paper, and has
approximately the right surface), I cannot see any way that a
printer can detect its brand. If HP had invented a way to brand
their paper invisibly I'm sure more people would know about this ...

From:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-18972-236251-14438-3328074-468001.html

[HP Deskjet 6940 Printer] "Media sensor detects paper type and
automatically sets print quality to ensure optimal results"

So it does seem possible (especially when the same company makes both
the sensor and the paper).

Marco

It says "paper type" _not_ manufacturer. Unless some new technology has
been developed I doubt that the manufacturer of the paper can be
detected and if it has people will start screaming anti-trust quicker
than you can blink your eye.

Didn't Lexmark lose a case where they required that only their brand of
toner or ink could be used in their printers?

Yes......IF I remember correctly, that suite was over a laser printer or
printers.....awhile ago.

Fred

--
"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to
allow the people to carry arms. History shows that all