Re: [opensuse] How to query time with ntpd?
  • From: Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 15:42:19 +0100
2010. február 8. 12:52 napon Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> írta:

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 12:27 +0100, Istvan Gabor wrote:
Hello:

I used to use ntpdate to query the time of a given time server occasionally.
'ntpdate -q ' showed the difference between the system and server time.
Now in openSUSE 11.2 ntpdate is not available anymore, it is replaced by
ntpd.
How can I use ntpd on command line to check the difference between server
and system time without adjusting the latter one (ie. imitate -q option of
ntpdate)? I have read the ntpd man page but could not find out myself how
to do it.

My 11.2 system has /usr/sbin/ntpdate. Perhaps you were not root when
trying to run it?

But it is not the ntpdate program:

~> /usr/sbin/ntpdate -q ntp1.ptb.de

The ntpdate program is deprecated and should not be used any more. To
quote the upstream ntp developers:

"The functionality ntpdate offered is now provided by the ntpd daemon
itself. If you call ntpd with the command line option -q it will
retrieve the current time and set it accordingly."

If I run the above as root it invokes "ntpd -q ntp1.ptb.de", and sets the
system time which I don't want yet. I just would like to see the offset.

Istvan