Re: [opensuse] ReiserFS partitions recognized as Ext3. How to recover? - Definitely a bug
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 18:13:19 -0500

On 02/07/2010 04:07 PM, Mark Goldstein wrote:
On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Carlos E. R.
<> wrote:

And I'm very, very surprissed :-(

So quick... I hope it is not an e-mail communicable infection :-(

X'-)

No, I'm tired, I have a headache, so I make mistakes on my computer when
trying to correct others.
It was my fault that I changed reiserfs by ext3 in the fstab file... thick
thumbs.

It looks like though there is a signature in the superblock and
probably some other ways to find out the partition type, the mount
takes the type specified in fstab without further checking. It should
at least compare what is specified in fstab with the result of file
-s.

Well, mount actually mounted the partition correctly, as reiserfs. The
problem is that it reports
incorrectly that it was mounted as ext3, which can cause all sorts of
problems if the user then
fscks the partition using the wrong checker.

Curious Carlos, why ext3 over ReiserFS? I've been dodging ext? for
ages. (My wife would shut the system down using the power bar on/off
switch, and ext2 kept canning on me, ReiserFS tolerated her abuse quite
well.)