[opensuse] Is it possible to upgrade from 32 bits to 11.2 x64?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 22:38:03 +0100

Hi,

I got a new computer, which has a cpu of 64 bits. I installed on it 11.2 32
bits from the downloaded
DVD. Then I copied to it the old 11.0 install from my other computer, which now
boots.

During this time I got a retail DVD of 11.2 (kind compliments of Novell for
collaborating in the
translation to Spanish - thanks), so I thought that I would use the DVD to do
the upgrade from 11.0
to 11.2 (I always do upgrades).

The surprise is, that this time, the retail DVD is x64 only, it does not have
the 32 bit version. It
does not say so, but it is.

The second surprise is that it, when pointed to upgrade the 11.0 partition
(which I had to point to,
manually), it said:

The architecture of the system installed in the selected partition
is different from the one of this product" [continue] [cancel]

I said "continue", then I checked the package list. As far as I could see, it
intended to replace
all packages with those corresponding to the 64 bits version. If this works,
fine... but I was
afraid, and I cancelled. Not because risking data (it is a copy), but because
of possible wast of
time. I thought I'd better RFC.

Has anybody done this, an upgrade from 32 to 64 bits? Does it work?

Second question: does everything work in 64 bits? Like multimedia (video),
flash, scanner...

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))