Re: [opensuse] KDE3
  • From: Bob Smits <bob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:08:16 -0800
On January 26, 2010 11:29:45 pm Will Stephenson wrote:
On Wednesday 27 January 2010 02:12:58 Bob Smits wrote:

One of the things that really irked me about the move from KDE3 to KDE4
was the loss of the secure file erasure facility in Kgpg, with no
replacement in sight.

I'm gradually getting used to running KDE4 on one machine while keeping
everything else as KDE3 for the time being, and for the most part, KDE4
is quite tolerable. Some parts are really great, but having a gui secure
file eraser is quite missing.

User-level Shred was always a "fake sense of security" tool. Explanation
here:

http://www.krusader.org/handbook/basic.html

Will

Sorry Will, but that whole explanation sounds more like an excuse than a
reason. Being able to securely erase files is important to me, and KDE3 KGPG
provided a really convenient way to do this. It wasn't terribly important what
program had the function, but having it in Kgpg was very convenient. NOT
having it at all was a really annoying decision, and I still see no effort by
KDE4 developers to replace the function.
--
Robert Smits Email bob@xxxxxxxxx