Re: [opensuse] KDE3
  • From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 23:13:46 +0200
All configs on KDE4 are difficult.  Nowhere near as easy as 3.
However, since I limit my KDE4 usage, I don't know what is what and
honestly I just don't have the time to work on it.

I suspect that you were looking at KDE 4.0 or 4.1. When you get the
chance to play with KDE 4.4 (or later) then _please_ either start a
thread on the difficulties and CC me, or just write to me directly.
Alternatively, you could file the bus yourself here:
http://bugs.kde.org

Thanks!

If you are loading Qt3 and Qt4 libraries, then yes, it is slower than
Qt3 alone. However, for systems running only Qt4 libraries, KDE 4 is
much more responsive than KDE 3. In fact, that was a specific design
goal for Qt4. I run it on older hardware, and the difference
(improvement) is noticable.

Define older.  I have a Thinkpad 390X with a P3/500 and a 2.5MB VRAM
Neomagic chip.  No way I would even try KDE 4 on that.  My Thinkpad
A22m(P3/1Ghz) and X21's(P3/700) have ATI Mobility M3s.  KDE4 was very
unresponsive on them.  Side by side with my 2 X21s and you see I world
of difference in speed.

I suspect tht you may have been loading Qt3 libraries as well. On my
2006-era Dell Inspiron (2 GB RAM, some slow dual-core Intel processor)
KDE 4 is very responsive. Same on most other machines that I've tried,
including the wife's old AMD Duron that is a pig.

Which Qt3 applications do you still use? I may be able to make suggestions.

Very few.  KOffice the most.  I use Firefox and would use gnome due to
the gtk libs, but I really despise gnome.....

It doesn't matter if it is few, so long as there is even one then the
Qt3 libraries are being loaded.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com