Re: [opensuse] Does openSuSE Ever run fsck on disks in dmraid array with nvidia controller?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 01:23:46 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2010-01-24 at 20:41 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

IDE (PATA) drives have always done remapping of bad blocks
themselves. SMART is just the monitoring part of that.

I'm not sure of that. I only learnt of that feature after the turn of
the century.

Okay, maybe not always, but after harddrives switched to GMR (thanks
J├╝lich and IBM), they definitely did the bad block remapping
themselves. Maybe early 90s, I'm not sure. SMART dates back to that
time too.

Maybe not all brands had the same features.

This wikipedia article says more or less what we have been saying:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_sector>

and here:

<http://www.mjm.co.uk/sectorremapping.html>

But the references I see say "modern hard disks", with no date specified. Curious :-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

< Previous Next >