[opensuse] Does openSuSE Ever run fsck on disks in dmraid array with nvidia controller?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:58:34 -0600
Filesystem gurus,

When checking the filesystem boot count or when faced with a filesystem
error,
"Does openSuSE ever actually fsck 'the disks' in the array?" If so how? It is
impossible to properly fsck the individual disks in an array on some
controllers, like nvidia, without first disabling the dmraid BIOS function and
you cannot update the 'bad block table' of an array.

How is this handled? Or,... is this just an unmentioned disadvantage of
dmraid
with some controllers?

I ask because I just stumbled through confirming this for myself with a
nvidia
dmraid chipset on one box. I know I have been able to fsck individual disks with
the 'Promise' dmraid controller. What about those like nvidia?

Even after booting from install media or a live-CD, e2fsck will refuse
to run
on the individual disks claiming this the disk is 'mounted or under the
exclusive control of another process'. It is not until the array is destroyed
that fsck will run. Is there some software workaround employed by openSuSE?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC