Re: [opensuse] Re: Removing KDE:43 repo (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Difference between kde repo's)
  • From: ianseeks <ianseeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:31:34 +0000
On Thursday 07 Jan 2010 07:12:30 David C. Rankin wrote:
ianseeks wrote:
Thanks David, the problem is on my laptop which i'm using as a test
machine at the moment so its not critical. I always keep my work machine
at least one release behind. I could always just re-install 11.2 and not
add the KDE4 repos and i'd be fine.

regards

Ian

Well, to be candid, I changed the 11.0 in the repos listed to 11.2 because
I thought you were running 11.2. I tried 11.2, but then went back to 11.0
due to the ati card in my laptop. (no driver for 11.2). All of the
desktops mentioned work great on 11.0, so take your pick. If I were just
looking at a first alternate or two, I would start with E16 and openbox.
E16 is about 5meg total to download and openbox is about 1 meg. They
install in seconds and are quite easy to work with. They will pick up your
kde apps for their menus.

With e16, don't forget to install the epplets as well (that enlightenment
speak for 'Applets'). With openbox, just remember to also install 'obconf'
and 'obmenu' for the config editor and menu editor. If you want a panel at
the bottom of openbox or e16 for that matter, install the 'tint2' panel.
Works like a chanmp.

Both desktops will take about 10 minutes of stumbling around through the
menus and configs to see how they work. Then you are ready to roll. Short
learning curve for both.

I am running 11.2 also with ATI card. It works well as long as you don't
update KDE by adding the KDE4 repo "STABLE"
Thanks