Re: [opensuse] Rsync daemon dies every hour. Why?
  • From: Petr Uzel <petr.uzel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 14:36:01 +0100
On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 01:13:31PM +0000, Bob Williams wrote:
On Tuesday 05 Jan 2010 12:26:34 Per Jessen wrote:
Bob Williams wrote:
Can anyone tell me why rsyncd won't stay up all the time? I keep
getting this sort of stuff in /var/log/rsyncd.log

2010/01/05 09:10:30 [3407] Service registration expired, refreshing it
2010/01/05 09:10:30 [3407] rsyncd registering 12 services with slpd
for 3600 seconds:
[ ... ]
I'm sure it never used to do this. It just started at boot time, and
kept running in the background.

Given that the process id doesn't change, you're still looking at just
one daemon. It isn't restarted.
[ ... ]
OK. Yes, I was too hasty accusing the process of dying. But what does
'Service
registration expired, refreshing it' mean? I've looked in YaST > Network
Services > Network Services(xinetd) at the rsync daemon setup, but I can't
see
any obvious settings that have been changed there.

Hello,

Those messages are just informing about SLP advertisements.

--
# man rsyncd.conf

use slp
This parameter is used to determine if the module names are
advertised via slp. The default is for this to be enabled,
which will advertise your public modules.

slp refresh
This parameter is used to determine how long service advertise-
ments are valid (measured in seconds), and is only applicable if
you have Service Location Protocol support compiled in. If this
is not set or is set to zero, then service advertisements never
timeout. If this is set to less than 120 seconds, then 120 sec-
onds is used. If it is set to more than 65535, then 65535 is
used (which is a limitation of SLP). Using 3600 (one hour) is a
good number if you tend to change your configuration.
--

So you can disable slp advertisements in /etc/rsyncd.conf with the following
line:

use slp = false

See https://fate.novell.com/306331

--