Re: [opensuse] Recovered 10.3 system with 11.2 recovery disk, now get -> modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.31.5-0.1
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 01:29:15 -0600
Anders Johansson wrote:
On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 23:38 -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:
How did I get a 2.6.31 kernel by reinstalling grub when the 11.2 dvd
was simply used to boot the existing 10.3 system?

oh, you booted from the DVD, I missed that, that explains everything.
When you boot from the DVD, the kernel is taken from the DVD, not from
your hard drive - so booting from the 11.2 DVD will naturally boot up
the 11.2 kernel. Then your system isn't messed up, you just need to boot
from the hard drive to get everything back to normal

Anders

Well, damnit, your 100% right again :p. I went ahead and rebuilt initrd
anyway, reinstalled grub into the mbr of sdb, rebooted, disabled raid function
in the bios, rebooted, set sdb as the primary boot drive, rebooted again and --
perfect! (with all these reboots, what's that OS that had that problem ???)

I suspect that I could have left the initrd untouched and it would have
worked as you describe. After all, the boot of the 11.2 dvd was simply to allow
the boot of the installed system which needed the boot loader reinstalled after
I split a 2-disk dmraid array. I should have pulled the 11.2 dvd immediately
after I reinstalled grub, but the wife was reminding me were late getting to
lake to meet my brother with his 4 kids for a weekend and New Years of quite
fun with 7 kids all under 10 in the lakehouse. I hope you see the humor in that
-- seven kids all under 10 in any house, regardless of the size does NOT allow
for a quite anything...;-)

Thanks for your help Anders - again...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.