Re: [opensuse] Re: Linux on a single computer
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 22:24:50 -0500
Carl Spitzer wrote:
On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 01:57 -0500, John E. Perry wrote:

After I bought a new hard drive and put xp pro alone on it, they then
revealed that the extended warranty didn't include the power switch or
speakers.

Need I say I won't be buying another hp computer? :-(

I have an old HP Kayak PII hand me down which works just fine. Power
switches and built in speakers are usually available at local hardware
stores and easy to replace.

Power switches from hardware stores won't come close to fitting into the
tiny hole in the top plate of my dv6000 laptop. I might buy an hp
replacement if they make it, except that they put the service manual on
their web site, which told me how to work around the power switch
failure. And, of course, if the problem is in the electronic circuitry
around the switch...

The speakers are specially built for my laptop, and will not be at any
hardware store, or even at a local electronics store. I work around
them by using external speakers plugged into the fully functional
external socket. And, of course, if the problem is in the electronic
circuitry feeding the speakers...

In any case, what really ticked me off was having to buy a new hard
drive and put xp pro onto it before they would even tell me these
components weren't included in the extended warranty. Along with the
statement (AFTER the hard drive replacement) that there would be a
minimum service charge of $200 before they would even start troubleshooting!

jp