Re: [opensuse] difference between dup and up (was: Updates for 11.2 stable, are there any?)
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:39:54 +0100
On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 12:30 +0100, Jano Kupec wrote:

There's no problem with using dup, you just need to keep the above in
mind. After all, there's always the 'Continue?' prompt :O)

The downgrading activity of dup sounds familiar. I have a new xorg
radeonhd driver installed (the one that comes with 11.2 crashes when
there are 3D effects in KDE). When I use dup, it wants to downgrade that
driver. Good to know update will not do this.

It seems there is a third zypper flavour that would be interesting:
update that will change architecture (like docs moving into noarch) or
update vendors, without having to list every single one in some file.

I bet someone will say, RTFM any you will see option -x. But zypper has
so many options, and the man page descriptions are sometimes too generic
to get a real feel for what they mean. If there is such an option, I
have missed it.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST