Re: [opensuse] Very strange boot problem
  • From: Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:43:00 -0500
On Wednesday 09 December 2009 03:03:12 Felix Miata wrote:
On 2009/12/09 02:04 (GMT-0500) Bob S composed:
.... (sdc8) Not sure what you mean about
the "root=position". You mean as an option on the grub menu? You
mean /dev/sdc8 ? or (hd2,7) ?

The kernel lines in your 11.2 menu.lst stanzas include something like:

kernel...vmlinuz...root=/dev/disk/yadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayada
showopts...

While in the Grub menu part of the boot process, substitute /dev/sdc8 for
the .../yadas in your menu choice and report back what happens when you
proceed.

Felix

I edited the menu.lst as you suggested. Changing /dev/disk/yadayada
to /dev/sdc8. Tried to boot and now it tells me it cannot find /dev/sdc8
rather than the /dev/disk/by-label it did previously.

Interestingly the line above it in the boot sequence also says it cannot
find /dev/sdc3 (which is the resume line) in menu.lst) and states ignoring
then continues on to the next line about not finding /dev/sdc8.

Oh, wait a minute. SUSE stupidly puts the showopts parameter after the
root= on kernel lines, and moves it back every time perl-Bootloader gets
run after manually putting it in the more useful pre-root= position. That
prevents you from seeing the root= section while in the GFX Grub menu.

To do what I wrote requires you exit the GFX Grub menu to the text Grub
menu to edit the kernel line root= section.
--
I have no idea what you are telling me here, not understanding the "SUSE way"
and do not know what you mean by the GFX Grub menu. If you mean editing

I have tried every iteration of configuration I can possibly think of.

Bob S