Re: [opensuse] Installing Gnome after a KDE4 install
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 07:30:52 +0100
How are you filtering the packages in Yast? If you choose "Patterns" for
the filter, you will find a section for Graphical Environments, and the
Gnome DE patterns below that.

Software Manager > RPM Groups > Metapackages > patterns-openSUSE-Gnome

There seemed to be no other logical way of ensuring I got a
full/default Gnome install since there is no One-Click for Gnome.
Picking some random Gnome package and crossing my fingers that the
rest of the default Gnome install is pulled with it as dependencies
seems like a really poor way of installing Gnome as a second DE.

I have both Gnome and KDE4 installed, but not
'patterns-openSUSE-kde4_pure.'

Which did you install first? Gnome or KDE4? If you installed KDE4
first, you will have patterns-openSUSE-kde4_pure installed. Once
you've got both, you won't have that package since it conflicts with
Gnome.

By the description, it is "installed if a
pattern is selected to have a working update path." The package contains
one file, '/usr/share/doc/packages/patterns-openSUSE/kde4_pure.txt.' I
don't know why Gnome wants to remove it, but KDE will run without it.

It appears to be meaningless... if it's not needed why is it selected
and installed with a default KDE4 install on 11.2? It's certainly
caught a number of people tinkering with 11.2. I've found several
Google hits on it while trying to figure out what it was and why it
needed to be removed.

C.