Re: [opensuse] 11.2 - what was the reasoning behind disabling sshd by default?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 20:13:33 +0100
Sorin Peste wrote:

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lars Müller wrote:

If you're not performing many manual installs I don't get your
complain.

Clearly.  Let me spell it for you:  because I only perform a few
local/manual installs, I forget that I now also have to scroll down
and enable ssh. A good/useful default setup is there exactly for
people like me who can't remember every little change I need to make.

How many _new_ installes are you performning a year?  Ten or 20?

Not counting pure test installations, less than 10.

I'm sorry, I'm kinda losing track of your arguments here,

As Lars has just reminded us, I made exactly the same arguments more
than 18 months ago. I could refer you to those, but:

are you claiming that
a) as an user who needs ssh on a desktop installation and performs <10
installs each year, you feel that you are representative / part of a
majority of openSUSE users and therefore the default should be geared
towards your type of user,

No.
(I really don't see that I have said/written anything that could be
remotely construed in that way.)

or that
b) Joe User IS the majority but there are no solid arguments against
having sshd enabled on his box, and therefore should be left on.

That is what I am arguing, yes. It has been so far, why change it when
it brings no benefits?

Sorin, apologies for snipping the bit about minority users, but it was
utterly irrelevant.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.1°C)