Re: [opensuse] 11.2 - what was the reasoning behind disabling sshd by default?
  • From: Lars Müller <lmuelle@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 19:03:10 +0100
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 09:19:28AM -0800, John Andersen wrote:
On 11/20/2009 8:31 AM, Lars � wrote:
There is no good reason why Joe Doe needs the service ssh enabled.

I thought that was a particularly arrogant statement.

Arrogant? A user new to Linux doesn't need ssh access to a local box.
Cause the majority of users don't even know what ssh is. And it is very
likely that they even don't want to know it. ;)

The Joe Doe I have in mind is a person new to Linux, needing a text
processing system and a web browser. Firefox and OpenOffice is all they
need.

A leasson I recently learned: The majority of users these days don't
even use a mail user agent. All they use is a web UI.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team