Re: [opensuse] 11.2 - what was the reasoning behind disabling sshd by default?
  • From: DenverD <DenverD@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:53:57 +0100
Per Jessen wrote:
What I'd like know is still why sshd was disabled when security has not
become more of an issue than it was in the previous umpteen releases
since 7-something.

now, THAT is a different question, and the only answer i could dream
up (not that it is right or will satisify, even if _true_) is that we
do have a LOT more Redmond Ship Jumpers joining and until they have
the time to think about security *after* they get their background set
just right on their spinning cubes, and their WINE installed and etc
etc etc, *someone* needs to do something to *try* to keep them from
turning their machine over the to rooted-botnets they are running from..

but, do not get me wrong: i am not responding just to make an
argument--because i understand your point..

what i have resorted to is to make of list of stuff i have to install,
turn on, uninstall, turn off, the aliases/crons i have to make, etc
etc etc...and, it is a *lot* longer list today than it was when i
moved from 9.x to 10.x

i'll not try to get them in the default install and the ONLY thing
that makes me happy about that long list is to know: i can have it
*my* way!

so can you,

DenverD