Re: [opensuse] After testing 11.2.........
  • From: John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:00:40 -0800
On 11/11/2009 11:05 PM, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

Novell has said we may use OBS and possibly create an area for openSUSE
LTS. They had assisted in having an Education project with iso and all.

The thing in this initiative, has really come down to 2 options. An
openSLES, or an limited server oriented openSUSE. The choices are SLES
11 for openSLES and openSUSE 11.2 for open SUSE xxx LTS.

There are plenty of private OBS's ofr Local BS's. The reall isssue is
trust in who is doing what for what. Taking with the SLES management has
expressed concerns that with the current economic condidtion we would
greatly reduce the number of SLES purchases. The key people in the SLES
group who I thought would welcome the project with open arms were not
very enthusiastic about it.

Ok, so lets work with that.

I think we all understand that Novell has to make money.

Maybe LTS is counterproductive, and an economic dead end.

The upside of LTS is you get stability and no drama.
The Downside of LTS is you are saddled with older technology.

In that case then a SMOOTH automatic upgrade, at least as cool
and complete as Ubuntu** would serve both opensuse and SLED/SLES.

Such a Super-Wagon could be used in opensuse land to make upgrades
painless (or nearly so), and it could be part of SLED and SLES to
make those products as easy to upgrade (for a price).

In-place upgrades should not be as traumatic as they always tend to
be. A smart tool could even find settings in user's personal
configuration files that will cause problems (kmail settings
Kong profiles that need updates for the new release).

There seems little rational reason that people should still need
to nuke their machines and start all over again in this day and
age. Can't we get past that?

I'd gladly use a Upgrade tool like Wagon if it worked as well
(or BETTER) than Ubuntu.

Footnotes:
** Ubuntu's approach is to just remove 3rd party repositories it
finds to be obsolete or incompatible. It does not give much of
an opportunity to see if you can locate newer third party repositories
by your self and add them to the list. So you end up doing a two
pass upgrade, First anything Ubuntu supports, then another pass
to add in the other repositories.