Re: [opensuse] After testing 11.2.........
On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 15:24 -0800, John Andersen wrote:
On 11/11/2009 2:48 PM, Hans Witvliet wrote:
uh, what wrong with a "zypper dup" once in a while?
Or are you visiting Aunt Nellie only once every five years? '-)
You Nailed it.
Gave her opensuse so I wouldn't have to run over there and
de-virus her machine every week.
As for zypper dup, point Aunt Nellie here: http://en.opensuse.org/Zypper/Usage
and watch her never speak to you again. Wait... Hmmmmmm...

Why would I do that? Would Aunt Nellie upgrade herself from XP/Vista to
Windows 7? No. She'll either continue to use 11.1 [which is supported
for another year] or someone will upgrade her box to 11.2.

My Kubuntu popped up a window asking If I wanted to upgrade to 9.10.
Since I use it as a test platform, I had nothing to lose, and clicked yes.
Worked perfectly. (And I mean PERFECTLY!). Not once in all the years
of using any flavor of suse since 7.3 has that ever worked as sweet as it
did in Kubuntu.

Most of the time time it has worked pretty flawlessly for me.

And why does everyone sing the praises of Yast and in the same breath
talk about a command line package manager?

Only because I shut everything else down when I do an upgrade.

If the community really likes a openSuSE-LTS thing, the community should
provide it. I just can not imagine what Novell would be gaining by it,
But this is OPENSUSE, right?
Not SLED/SLES.
We are talking about this on the OpenSuse mailing list?

That article is comparing to CentOS/RHEL. So xxx/SLES is the equivalent
on this side of the fence.

http://en.opensuse.org/Project_Overview says the first GOAL is:
Make openSUSE the EASIEST Linux distribution for ANYONE to obtain
and the most WIDELY USED open source platform.

Success! Has worked great for me and several of my co-workers.

The truth of the matter is we are all Lab Rats for Novell, and there
is very little about openSuse that is OPEN at all.

Blah Blah Woof Woof. There is next to nothing CLOSED about it at all.
Go troll somewhere else.
--
openSUSE <http://www.opensuse.org/en/>
Linux for human beings who need to get things done.