Re: [opensuse] Clearing NVIDIA Video Buffer
  • From: upscope <upscope@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 10:10:46 -0800
On Saturday 07 November 2009 10:06:21 am Lew Wolfgang wrote:
upscope wrote:
On Friday 06 November 2009 07:27:59 pm Lew Wolfgang wrote:
I've been observing a failure of 11.1 to clear the video buffer
on various NVIDIA boards when using the proprietary driver. I
first noticed this with 11.1, with various versions of NVIDIA's
drivers. The problem appears during the login process when
bits and pieces of previous images flash on the screen. This
is certainly annoying and is embarrassing to have to explain this
behavior to customers. Further, it's a security issue since
username/password information might be compromised.

I'm thinking it must be an issue with the X server on 11.1 and
really hope it doesn't resurface with 11.2. Anyone else
notice it?

I used to see this on 11.1 and 11.2 thru RC1. Look at

/usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/SUSE/suse.xml

make sure line five(5) reads as follows:

<item type="pixmap" id="background" background="true">

What I was seeing, after installing the Nvidia driver something was
deleting the background="true" from the line. This caused either a
checkerboard or various pieces of the previous desktop to appear at
various times during boot.

I am now on 11.2 RC2 with the latest Nvidia driver: NVIDIA-Linux-
x86_64-190.42-pkg2.run. Problem has not re-occurred.

Whoot! That was it! Good catch!

Not only that, but I found the background graphic (Background.jpg) for
the login screen! I've needed to present users with a legal login
warning, before they logged in, for a long time now. Windoze can do
this. Ssh can present a message before login, but it appears only on
ssh connections of course. I can annotate this rather ugly low-res
jpg with my text, or come up with a nicer background.

Thanks for the pointer, Upscope!

Regards,
Lew

Glad I could help, but the credit goes to the forum I found it on. Cannot
remember which one.