Re: [opensuse] Re: RAID-1 speed -- RAID 1 for? Backup?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 11:29:57 +0100
Anders Norrbring wrote:

It's really not a big deal since the SAS array is RAID-5 with 2 hot
spare drives, so I'm pretty certain drive failures won't be a problem,

You meant to say "I'm certain drive failures will be a problem" ? :-)

A key issue with a RAID1 or -5 is the time it takes to recover. Whilst
the array is recovering, you're very much exposed. A RAID5 built of
1Tb drives could take quite a while to recover from a one drive
failure. One way of reducing the risk is to use drives with staged
manufacturing dates, i.e. not all from the same batch/date.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.1°C)