Re: [opensuse] Early adopters bloodied by Ubuntu's Karmic Koala
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 15:23:34 +0100
There are still some bugs with 11.2 that need to be fixed... one that
comes to mind is the installer does not find or set up Grub correctly
to allow you to boot other Linux installs.. it just ignores them.  But
it's a known issue... so it'll be fixed (hopefully)

This seems to be not true as a general statement. Apparently it works quite
well in most cases, if people did not set-up some very special set-up. In that
case they should also be able resolve the issues. It's a bug nevertheless, but
if it's only a corner case it should not prevent 11.2 from shipping, because
then it will never ever ship.

wouldn't call the setup I have all that special... it's pretty basic.
A single drive... a simple partion scheme... a couple 15Gb partitions
I use for root, a swap, and a home partition. Nothing unusal or
special at all. If I install Ubuntu, and then 11.1, Grub finds and
cofigures the menu.lst with both OSes,.... then I install 11.2 and
Grub only knows 11.2... nothing else. I've re-done the installs over
and over.. different combinations, and it's consistent.. 11.2 installs
very smoothly, but it doesn't know the other installed OSes.

C.