Re: [opensuse] How to set up LIRC?
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:40:51 -0400
On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 11:40 -0700, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
Mike McMullin wrote:
On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 14:45 -0700, Marc Chamberlin wrote:

Mike McMullin wrote:

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 20:48 -0700, Marc Chamberlin wrote:

Well I am lost, so need a few pointers to get me started... I am running
SuSE11.1 and need to get the lirc daemon up an running. Searching around
on the internet I get quite a bit of difference information that relates
to various other distro's or versions and nothing I can find seem to
apply to SuSE. I have use YaST to install all the pertinent packages for
LIRC, installed the config files for /etc/lircd.conf and .lircrc in my
home directory as I was instructed to do. Most of the documentation I
have read seem to imply there should be a device - /dev/lirc but I do
not find such. Trying to start the lircd service gives me an error
saying as much...

So what do I have to do to get the lircd service up an running under
SuSE11.1? Much appreciate any and all help offered..

You'll need the appropriate lircd.conf and lircrc files for the
device, as well as the appropriate driver module loaded, so start with
the device and look for what driver module it uses. I had LIRC up and
running under the PAE kernel, but I've switched to the default kernel
and will need to redo some of the steps to get mine up and running
again, I'd be glad to help if I can, on the proviso that it stays on the
mailing list, so there's actually a SuSE specific LIRC thread that can
be googled for later.

Thanks Mike for your offer of help, and I certainly will keep all my

Ok, I think I have the lircd.conf and lircrc files defined and installed
appropriately. (I could follow the instructions for that part easily
enough.) But you said two things that kinda went over the top of my
head. You asked me to "start with the device and look for what driver
module it uses" Not being a real SuSE/Linux guru uh how do I do that?

I have an Hauppage PVR-150 card with the Grey-350 remote, it requires
that the lirc_i2c module be loaded, so the simple question here is what
device are you trying to get set up?

You also mentioned the two different types of kernels, and implied that
there will be a need to install/config things for each. I have noted,
from time to time, when I use SuSE that the powers that be will suddenly
give me a new kernel (I note this when the GRUB menu suddenly changes on
me and I see a new menu entry for booting up a different version of
SuSE. Such things as Xen, and something else which I can't remember
anymore from the more distant past, and now this PAE thing has come
along, out of the blue, and apparently decided to become the default
version for me to use.) I have no idea what this is, but since it got
setup and installed, after one of SuSE's security updates, as my default
system to use, I just figure I probably am suppose to use it. GRUB still
gives me the original version of SuSE to boot up if I want to, I just
don't have any idea whether I should go back to it or not.. And I don't
really have extra time to try and learn what PAE is right now... Sigh I
need a few clones of me!

I'm not a fan of the PAE kernel, I have had too many issues because of
it, I've tweaked my /boot/grub/menu.lst file to default to the default
kernel. The PAE Kernel has Physical Address Extension support in it,
which means that it can access more ram than a normal 32-bit kernel can,
amongst other things.
Unless you have a non-standard device, and require compiling the
driver, it should just update with each kernel release. TO find out
which kernel you are using, at a terminal prompt do uname -r.

Mike@P-733-Lin:~> uname -r
2.6.27.29-0.1-default

I'm using the default kernel, and I need to have the lirc-kmp-default
package installed, which isn't going to happen due it's not being in the
11.1-oss update repo.

Sorry if my knowledge of Linux/SuSE is not all that robust, I am
learning, but it takes time...

Not a problem,these are issues that I have had to deal with getting my
PVR up and running, and like you I know how little good SuSE specific
info there is out there.

Thanks again Mike. You have convinced me, I don't have any investment
in the PAE version of the kernel either, so will switch my version back
to the default also.

I'm sure the guys at SuSE have a good reason for this kernel (other
than the commercial offerings).

OK here is where I am headed with my media center. I have the Hauppauge
350 card in my system which has an IR receiver and also the gray remote.
I believe I have the correct configuration for the lirc.conf and lircrc
files for it. (I had this from a previous version of SuSE before I
upgraded my system to 11.1 and lost almost everything else. So am in the
process of trying to reset that up as well.)

IIRC the grey remote uses the lirc_i2c module the same as mine does,
so it's a question of checking to see if the modules is getting loaded
and if not then loading it and setting it to load at boot time. A
simple way of finding the module location is to grab a shell and do
locate lirc_i2:

Mike@P-733-Lin:/var/lib> locate lirc_i2
/lib/modules/2.6.27.19-3.2-pae/updates/lirc_i2c
/lib/modules/2.6.27.19-3.2-pae/updates/lirc_i2c/lirc_i2c.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.27.29-0.1-pae/weak-updates/updates/lirc_i2c
/lib/modules/2.6.27.29-0.1-pae/weak-updates/updates/lirc_i2c/lirc_i2c.ko

What I did originally was to cd into the directory with the module
file and then lsmod | grep lirc*, then modprobe lirc_i2c and then redid
the lsmod (why? well it's really the first time I had to load a module
and make sure it loaded every time at boot, so I wanted to see the
results as I progressed through this). IIRC insmod lirc_i2c is used to
have the module load every time, but I could be wrong, I was following
the far ranging advice of google.

I also have an IR Blaster with runs off the serial port of the computer.
With this, I am going to want to control a Dish Network HD settop box
and a Harmon Kardon receiver. So I have run the IR transmitters to the
front panel of each, in front of their IR receivers. I have tracked down
a set of button code definitions for the Dish Network HD settop box and
appended them to the lirc.conf file (where I already have the button
code definitions for the Hauppauge 350 remote) I have not yet tracked
down the Harmon Kardon codes yet, so I may have to generate them myself
later.

You might want to subscribe to the mythtv mailing list for this info.

YaST2 reports that I have the lirc-kmp-default and lirc-kmp-pae packages
already loaded.

So what we really need to do is determine which module drives the
remote, and get it loading, so google for the 350 and it's remote to see
what lirc module it needs.

Eventually I will want to hook all this into MythTV. And yes, if I can
get all this figured out, perhaps I will take the time to update the
SuSE wiki. It appears a lot of this info that is lying around on the
internet is way out of date.

There are a few on this list using mythtv, and the best resource that
I've run across is Charles Philip Chan, who's helped me in the past, and
looking back at some older messages, you too, but I didn't see any
mention of which module you used for LIRC.
Yes, the wiki, I did not find much help in it, updating it would be
good.