Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:44:36 +0200
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
Rather than hijacking Robert Days thread, I thought I'd start a
separate one on the practicalities of IPv6:

Co-existence:
if someone were to go IPv6-only, how is access for IPv4-only clients
achieved? Ie. if I move to an IPv6-only network, how do IPv4-only
clients deal with it? Do I need to do anything?

Dual-stack on ADSL - is it possible to have IPv4 and IPv6 on the same
ADSL line? (ignoring whether or not a supplier would support it).

Hardware - does anyone want to recommend an ADSL router with IPv6
support? We've been using Zyxel for the last five years, and I've
been looking at Zyxels 662, but I've grown a little wary of Zyxel
(support
in particular). A new router would require solid IPv6 support plus
SNMP and syslog ditto.

/Per

I don't recall the details and it's been quite a while since I read
about it, but there is an IPv6 address range that's reserved for
mapping directly to IPv4 addresses.

Isn't that the other way around - for mapping IPv4 (in)to IPv6 ?

ADSL in these parts is provided by running PPPoE, that is Peer to Peer
Protocol over Ethernet. PPP & Ethernet can both handle whatever
packets you throw at them, as they're level 2 protocols, so ADSL
should have no problem, in theory, with handling IPv6. Of course
there's always the software within the ADSL modem and DSLAM to worry
about, as well as any routers beyond them.

Yeah, I was asking/worried about the entire path, not just the PPPoE
level. The issue is that anyone migrating to IPv6 would want to have a
period of time with 4/6 coexistence, and if that could be achieved
without having to have a dual ADSL setup, so much the better.

As I mentioned earlier, tunneling can be used to bypass any IPv4 link.

Yes, but in in a complete migration to IPv6, that's only a small step on
the way, and the tunnels (as currently provided) are not intended for
high volume (to my knowledge anyway).

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.9°C)