Re: [opensuse] how many folks running suse 11 are heavily into IPv6?
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:55:25 +0100

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
i can see from the list of issues covered in the novell CLP 11

Good. Those kind of things should be ahead of the curve.

practicum that IPv6 is part of that. so how many people here are
using IPv6 on a serious basis in their IT infrastructure?

+1

already? and why?

It is easier to deploy it in a gradual strategic way than to scramble when
you suddenly have to
support it.

It is MUCH easier to configure than IPv4. Netmasks: Gone. Multicast: Just
Works. Auto-Config: Just works. No addressing issues for point-to-point
links. And it is faster for really big local transfers and consumes less
router resources on the WAN.

Why not use IPv6? It is just a better protocol.

did you really get to a point where IPv4 simply
couldn't do the job anymore?

There is just no reason not to begin phasing out IPv4.

QWERTY effect strikes again...

The earliest I remember talk about IPv6 was about 15 years ago, and
mainly in the context of a solution to a shortage of address space with
IPv4. When NAT became perceived as a basic solution to the latter
problem interest waned, I suspect this is because those with existing
and working networking infrastructures were a bit unwilling to replace
them with something which (if it worked as expected) did much the same
as they already had at a perceived considerable commitment of resources.

Many would be wary of a mixed IP protocol approach (adds something else
to go wrong in unpredictable ways, especially in environments which
already have a mixture of protocols). Most IT technical teams are under
resourced for what non-technical management expect them to perform, and
there is, at least among the better technical managers a general
unwillingness to commit their people to support additional
responsibilities without the required additional resources (which are
usually not forthcoming).

Many admins adopt an 'if it aint broke dont fix it approach'. Therefore
for something to be adopted it needs give a perceived significant
benefit against any cost, (or an advocate which tells people to adopt X
by date y or else ).

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup